Study Abroad in Australia

When people think of Australia, they often think of eucalyptus trees, sharks and the late “Crocodile Hunter” Steve Irwin. But do you realize that it is challenging America for the most popular country in the world to study as an international student? Do you realize that, in addition to an education system, it’s a world-class tourist destination because it’s just so…cool?

You do realize that? And yet you haven’t decided to study abroad there yet? Then I guess you better keep reading.

The Details of Australia

Australia is the only continent that’s also a country, and is blessed with landscapes that jump from glamorous beach to gaping city to sprawling desert.

Although it is the smallest continent in the world, Australians think big — big coral reefs, big adventure and big hearts. Those who study in Australia will see the cuddly koala, experience the vibrant nightlife of Sydney and Melbourne, and enjoy a laid-back, relaxed lifestyle, not to mention receive an advanced education thanks to Australia’s campaign to attract some of the best professors in the world.

The “Lucky” Country

Australia is known as the “lucky” country because of its rich deposits of silver, zinc and zircon, and because it is home to 10 percent of the world’s gold. Students who study in Australia will feel fortunate as well. The idea of visiting world-famous reefs and seeing animals and plants that only exist in Australia, in the same place where you can lounge on a gorgeous beach and ride a jet ski, in the same place where you can attend lectures by some of the most respected professors in higher education, is beyond alluring. There is, after all, a reason why Australian colleges and universities host more than 100,000 students from more than 180 countries each year. In addition to outdoor activities, Australia is known for its respected research in science, Business and industry, and the most popular fields of study include the Humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, engineering and medicine. And even though Australia may be known for its outback, or bush, or just plain old countryside (however you want to refer to it), the destination is considered a technological leader, with a prevalence of state-of-the-art equipment and laboratories.

But you may not even need all those details to convince you. Think emotionally. It even makes sense when your only consideration is your heart.

Can you imagine if you’re an Anthropology student, and you actually get the chance to study Aborigines, who have lived in Australia for more than 20,000 years and yet are still around today (not the same exact person, obviously, unless the Fountain of Youth exists in Australia)? Can you imagine architecture students getting to observe the Sydney Opera House firsthand? How can an ecology major or future vet not take an opportunity to hang with Australia’s unique animal and plant population?

People, studying abroad in Australia just makes sense. It has a great education system, but is also a super-popular tourist destination because it’s just so awesome. You can’t go wrong!

Natural Wonders

Australia’s strongest feature is by far the diversity of its amazing landscape. Students studying environmental science, ecology or biology will find a little piece of heaven in Australia. While the cities are slices of modern metropolitan life, the countryside, or bush, is the heart of Australia.

More than 90 percent of Australia is covered with vegetation, and 85 percent of Australian plants are exclusive to the country, which makes it a haven for natural sciences students. The Daintree Rainforest is a prime example of Australia’s biological and ecological wealth, with more than 450 species of birds, plus butterflies and those famous Australian marsupials. You may catch a glimpse of a kangaroo, but if you want to see a Tasmanian Devil, the largest carnivorous marsupial, you’d better stay up late, as they are nocturnal. Other places to check out include:

  • The fantastically named Wallaman, Wollomombi and Ellenborough waterfalls;
  • Fraser Island, the world’s largest sand island-don’t forget to visit the Great Sandy National Park;
  • Uluru, made of sandstone, is the biggest monolith on earth;
  • Fantastic skiing can be had in the Snowy Mountains and Victorian Alps.

Australia, thanks to its abundance of natural resources, is known to be a leader in outdoor education programs. Perhaps one of the most impressive natural attractions in the beach-blessed country is the Great Barrier Reef, the world’s largest coral reef. Go there, and you can swim with loggerhead turtles, humpback whales and dolphins.

Why choose to study in Australia? :

  • Globally recognized courses and colleges.
  • 3rd most popular international student destination in the world.
  • 8 out of 100 top universities in the world are Australian.
  • World’s best facilities and educators.
  • Safe and multicultural environment.
  • Many unique travel choices within the country.
  • Study, work & migrate options.

Top Five Reasons to Study Abroad in Australia

  • Studying abroad in Australia doesn’t require you to learn a new language, but there are still many new phrases and meanings for you to discover during your adventure.
  • Australia boasts natural wonders like the Great Barrier Reef. Study abroad in Australia and you could become a certified scuba diver and explore the amazing beauty the Reef has to offer.
  • Performance arts in Australia are a beloved tradition and well funded by the federal government. Enrich your appreciation for the arts and attend any one of the several operas offered throughout each region.
  • Australia is abundant in cultural dynamics derived from Aboriginal, Dutch and English influences. Studying the conjoining of these cultures will surely be an interesting and eye-opening experience.
  • Australian society is generally laid-back, friendly and full of opportunities for new adventures, unexpected friendships and inspiring activities.

Understanding Australian Qualification :

The Australian Qualifications Framework ( AQF )

The Australian Government designed the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) to ensure that qualification titles across the country are consistent and represent the same high standards of education.

The AQF regulates all Australian qualifications and provides clear rules about the level of education each qualification title represents. Each qualification generally leads into the next qualification down the list (see below) in the education framework. Having a nationally standardised system means there is a clear pathway to follow, making it easier for students to pursue their education. It also makes transferring between different education providers much easier, as there is no confusion caused by differing qualification titles and education levels. In addition to these qualifications, the AQF issues a Statement of Attainment when a student completes only part of a qualification.

For more information, see the Australian Qualifications Framework website.

The ten AQF levels

Level 2 Certificate II
Level 3 Certificate III
Level 4 Certificate IV
Level 5 Diploma
Level 6 Advanced diploma Associate degree
Level 6 Bachelor degree
Level 7 Bachelor honours degree
Level 8 Bachelor honours degree
Vocational graduate certificate
Vocational graduate diploma
Graduate certificate
Graduate diploma
Level 9 Masters degree
Level 10 Masters degree

Undergraduate / Graduate Degrees

There are 39 registered universities in Australia offering a wide range of undergraduate and graduate programs. For more, visit our dedicated University Degree program section.

VET – Vocational Education and Training

Australia’s VET system, called TAFE (Techical and Further Education) is a network of institutions that offer programs that are both practical and career-orientated. These programs enable students to begin their career path with study and work all rolled into one program. The main benefit to employers of VET graduates is that they know the individual has practical, work place experience as well as the theoretical background. Recently, there has been a dramatic increase in the number of international students using TAFE/VET programs to enter Australia and increase their chances of becoming permanent residents.

Private/Specialized Colleges

There are many colleges in Australia that offer diplomas, or certificates in most every area of study. These private/ specialized colleges vary in price depending on the school but they all basically offer program that can range from 3 months to 3 year. Credits from these courses may be able to be transferred to universities, but this it dependent on the college and its relationship with Australian Universities.

List of Universities & College :


  • Bond University
  • University of Notredame
  • Stanley College
  • Universal Institute of Technology
  • Sheffield College
  • Kaplan Business School
  • Cambridge International College
  • Curtin University of Technology
  • New South Wales TAFE
  • University of Adelaide
  • The University of New South Wales
  • The University of Queensland
  • Newcastle University
  • Bradford College
  • The Cantillon Institute
  • Ozford Education Group
  • Victoria University
  • University of Melbourne
  • Queensland University of Technology
  • Melbourne Institute of Technology
  • SAE Institute Australia
  • Murdoch University
  • University of Wollongong
  • Deakin University
  • Griffith University
  • University of Technology Sydney
  • Monash University

 Courses Offered :

  • Agriculture, environment and sustainability
  • Architecture and construction
  • The arts and creative industries
  • Business, management and law
  • Culture, language and Indigenous
  • Education
  • Engineering and mining
  • Health
  • IT and computing
  • Physical sciences and mathematics

Fee Structure ( Course Fee & Living Expenses):


Courses                                                         Annual Tuition Fee

  • Bachelor degree in arts- Non lab    AUD 15,000 -AUD 21,000
  • Bachelor degree in science AUD 17,000 – AUD 22,000

Annual Tuition Fee

Post Graduate

Courses                                           Annual Tuition Fee

  • Post Graduate                AUD $ 15,000 – $ 21,000
  • Masters, Doctoral         A UD $ 16,000 – $ 25,000

Living Expenses          – AUD $ 16,000 per year

Part Time Work:

Students visiting the country are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week while they are studying in Australia. This is a great opportunity for students who want to earn money to help with living expenses during their stay, and for students who want to gain work experience in their field of interest while they study.

When most people think of Australia, they see wide open spaces of outback bush, kangaroos, koalas and clean air and water. However, Australia has so much more to offer than just that! Many international students are choosing to study in Australia because of its friendly, laid-back nature, excellent education system, and high standard of living.

Guides for Visa Application :

Australian student visa documents

Website  document checklist feature that will provide you with a list of documents required for your specific type of student visa. You simply need to select the type of visa you are requesting, and either indicate that you are eligible to apply for streamlined visa processing or select your appropriate Assessment Level. Then select View Checklist to open a PDF document with all the necessary documents you need to provide.

Typically, students must submit the following:

  • Completed Australia student visa application form (157A)
  • Paid visa application fee
  • Copy of passport bio data page (some students may be asked to physically provide their passport)
  • Certificate of Enrolment or Letter of Offer
  • Evidence of sufficient funds
  • Evidence of health insurance cover
  • English proficiency test results
  • Criminal record check results

Australian student visa requirements :

When filling in your online visa application form, you will need to provide evidence of the following Australian student visa requirements:

Financial requirements: Evidence of sufficient funds to cover tuition, travel and living costs. The Assessment Level of the student determines the level of funds required, who can provide these funds and how long the funds must be held. If you have dependents (such as a spouse and children), you will also need to show evidence of being able to cover living costs for them, regardless of whether they intend to travel to Australia or not.

English proficiency requirement: While all students are required to demonstrate they have the appropriate English language proficiency for their course, AL 1 and 2 applicants need only meet the requirements specified by their higher education provider, while AL 3 and 4 applicants must also provide DIAC with evidence of their English language proficiency. The DIAC website lists eligible tests, with possibilities being the IELTS, TOFEL iBT, Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic and Cambridge Advanced English (CAE) test. The score you will need will depend on whether you are starting a full degree, doing a foundation course, or enrolling on a preliminary English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS).

Health requirements: Some students may be advised to take a medical and/or a radiological check-up to show they are in good health (this applies, for example, to those who intend to train as a doctor, dentist or nurse). If told to do so, you must attend an appointment with a doctor who has been approved by the Australian immigration department. Except those from Belgium or Norway, all students are obliged to purchase Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). You may purchase this cover through your university, or directly from one of the five approved providers: Australian Health Management, BUPA Australia, Medibank Private, Allianz Global Assistance and nib OSHC. The average cost of OSHC is AUS$437 (US$383) for 12 months for a single student. Students from Sweden who have purchased health insurance through CSN International or Kammarkollegiet will not need to purchase OSHC.

Character requirements: All students will also be assessed against the character requirements stipulated by DIAC. This includes a criminal record check, to make sure you documents have a substantial criminal record. You may also need to acquire a penal clearance certificate (or police certificate) or get a police statement, and may be asked to complete a Character Statutory Declaration Form.

Visa processing times will vary depending on your Assessment Level and the type of visa you are applying for. We advise all students to submit their application at least 9 to 12 weeks before the course commencement date. Your student visa will last for the duration of your studies, including holiday periods, and will also allow you some time to remain in Australia at the end of your course, in order to prepare for departure. Under some circumstances, it may be possible to apply for a further visa at the end of your course (consult the DIAC website for more details).


What type of visa do I need?

For all undergraduate (bachelor) and postgraduate degrees by coursework, you will be applying for a subclass 573 student visa. For postgraduate programmed by research, a subclass 574 student visa is required.

When should I apply?

You can only make an application for an Australian student visa after you have received a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from your chosen university. In order to get a CoE, you must have been given a formal offer by the university, accepted it in writing and paid a deposit toward your tuition fees. Please also note that if you are applying online you can only apply for your visa a maximum of 124 days before your course starts. If you are not eligible to apply online, you will be making your paper application to the Australia High Commission and will be able to apply for your visa once you have received your CoE.

Is there an age limit?

There is no age limit on a student visa for Australia unlike the Working Holiday Visa scheme.

Can I still get a student visa if I have already had a Working Holiday visa for Australia?

Yes, your Working Holiday visa status has no impact on a student visa application the two schemes are completely separate.

When can I travel to Australia?

You can arrive in Australia on your student visa up to 90 days before your course starts.

How much does it cost?

The visa application fee is currently A$535, which needs to be paid when you submit your application. Please note that visa application charges are reviewed on 1st July each year. If you have dependents joining you on your visa there will be additional fees payable, this does not apply for subclass 574 applicants.

How long does the visa last?

Your student visa will last for the duration of your studies (including holiday periods) and will allow you some time to remain in Australia at the end of your course. This can range from one to three months, depending on the length of your course and the month in which it ends. If you are studying a course that is longer than ten months and ends in November or December, for example, the visa will usually end on March 15 the following year.

How long does a visa take to get?

Visa processing times vary but you should allow up to four weeks. Online applications, however, are usually considerably quicker.

Can I work on this visa?

On a student visa you will be able to work up to 40 hours per fortnight during term, and full time in the holidays. The visa will automatically be issued with permission to work, although you are not allowed to begin working until your course has started. Work that is a formal, registered part of your course is not included in the limit.

  • is of benefit to the community
  • is for a non-profit organization
  • would not otherwise be undertaken in return for wages by an Australian resident (that is, it is a designated volunteer position), and
  • is genuinely voluntary (that is, no remuneration, either in cash or kind is received board and lodging acceptable).

Can I take my partner with me on my student visa?

Yes, it is possible for your partner to accompany you as a dependent on your student visa. You will need to prove you have been in a genuine and exclusive relationship with them for at least 12 months. This usually requires you to have been living together for at least 12 months. Please see the page on Australian Visas for Partners and Families for more information.

What will I need to apply?

You will need to complete a student visa application at, your Confirmation of Enrolment, the visa application charge, your passport number, and evidence that you have paid your Overseas Student Health Cover.

Do I need to provide any health documents or checks?

Currently as a citizen of the UK or Ireland you will not be required to have a health assessment unless in certain circumstances for example if you are going to Australia to train as a doctor, dentist or nurse, or if you are likely to work or train in an Australian childcare centre. You may also be required to do a health assessment if you have spent more than three consecutive months in another country in the last five years.

Can I apply for another visa when the course ends?

In some circumstances it may be possible to apply for a further visa at the end of your course. Please visit the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship at to find out what your options are. Under current rules if you have studied for two years towards a university bachelors, master of research degree you will be entitled to apply for a post study work visa for two to four years (dependent on level of study).

How do I apply?

You can submit your application online via the Department of Immigration and Citizenship website (, or by post using Form 157a Application For A Student Visa. The completed application should then be sent to Migration Branch, Australian High Commission, Australia House, Strand, London, WC2B 4LA.

Your obligations

You must remain enrolled in a course registered on CRICOS ( You must maintain satisfactory attendance on your course, as required by your education provider. You must make satisfactory course progress for each study period. You must advise your education provider of your home address in seven days of arriving in Australia. If you change address during your stay, you must tell your provider within seven days. You must maintain health insurance while in Australia. This can be done by obtaining Overseas Student Health Cover.

All information is correct at the time of publication but is subject to change. Please check the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship ( for the most up-to-date information.